Want to win a $150 Amazon gift card? Modis, an IT recruiting and staffing company that connects IT pros with great opportunities at leading companies, is offering a $150 Amazon gift card to the person who leaves the most useful or interesting advice here.
A very busy friend who’s about to start hiring employees for the first time asked me recently what I wish I’d known about hiring when I first started doing it. I told her:
* You’ll be really drawn to candidates who remind you of yourself. You have to resist this impulse because it can mislead you — making you blind to to their weaker spots or other candidates’ strengths — and can result in an overly homogenous staff.
* Likability matters, but it isn’t everything. Being the most likable person in the world won’t make up for a lack of skill in what you need done.
* Experience isn’t everything either. Having an incredibly talented jerk on your staff won’t be worth it in the long run.
* The longest interview process in the world won’t get you as much information as actually seeing candidates in action, doing simulations of the sort of work they’d be doing on the job, will.
I want to know what you wish you’d known before you started hiring people — and to make it extra fun, we’re going to turn this into a contest, with the person who leaves the most interesting/useful comment winning a $150 Amazon gift card, provided by Modis!
- In the comment section below, share what you wish you knew before you started hiring people. If you’ve never hired people, you can still enter — just share something you wish hiring managers knew.
- Make sure to leave your email address in the box that asks for it when you leave your comment, so that I can alert you if you win. (I’m the only one who will be able to see it.)
- Leave your comment by 11:59 p.m. EST Wednesday, April 16. I’ll pick the winner on Thursday.