How can you still use the people you currently have on your team rather than replace them?
One suggestion is to look to your junior project managers, provided that they are sufficiently skilled, to complete the work that needs to be done.
But how do you train the junior project manager quickly and sufficiently?
As project managers, we, especially those with credentials, have a strong belief in this profession and the desire to advance our knowledge and practice. Those of us who are already senior project managers have the responsibility to work with our junior project managers or team members and support them in their growth.
As a project or program manager, you have the power to give them the tools they need to unleash their power as coordinators and junior project managers. As a project manager, you already know how to manage the project. It's up to you to help the less experienced know what they should be doing, what they shouldn't be doing and what tools they should or shouldn't be using.
For example, I worked with one junior project manager who lacked experience in working with those who were directly involved in the business operation. The solution we found was to involve her directly with the business analyst. The business analyst could help the project manager communicate her needs into "business speak." This allowed the project manager to learn, and adjust her management and communication styles.
Knowledge sharing gives junior project managers more confidence. By providing them with an experience working with you on a project, you are creating an environment that fosters growth and development and is fun and rewarding.
Are you a senior or junior project manager? What has your experience been like? How do you foster growth for junior project managers?
- Jeff Neal Urges Organization’s to Update Their Outlook on Senior Executive Service
- ‘Do or Do not. There is no try.’ And more from AFFIRM’s Monthly Speaker Series
- Media Bullseye Roundtable 2014.8 with Guest Co-Host Shel Holtz
- Agency Leaders Protected Teleworkers Who Lied About Their Hours – Plus the 7 Gov Stories
- Cutting the cord: Using ambient Wi-Fi for power and communications
- how to make your boss adore you
- my boss makes us all keep kosher for Passover
- How CMS takes on and beats back Medicare fraud
- too much info is killing your productivity, brainstorming doesn’t work, and more
- 20 Things Educators Need To Know About Digital Literacy Skills