Fix the Skills Gap: Fact, there is a pay and hiring freeze going on right now. But that's not the only problem facing agencies - there's also a major skills gap. The only way for agencies to be successful is to correctly match the right person to the right job. It sounds simple. But it's a really hard task. We talked solutions.
Engage Top Down and Bottom Up Leadership: In order for an agency to be successful you have to have everyone in the agency engaged and on the same page. Leaders need to not only inform and guide but really listen to their employees. The Transportation Department has shown real success in this arena. Which helped them greatly improve their rankings in the Best Places to Work guide.
Prepare, Present and Produce during Transition. The transition time between a first and second term can be challenging for career feds. With new faces headed in as top dogs it's hard to maintain production. But excelling during the transition is possible. And it if you can succeed it really shows your value.
Ask the Tough Questions: Unfortunately sometimes leaders can be blinded to a situation and it's up to you to ask the tough questions. But there are ways to best approach leaders with problems and solutions. We figured out how to ask the toughest questions by posing questions to presidential candidates.
When Budgets Get Tight - Explain. The worst thing leaders can do in times of budget uncertainty is crack down on information. Talk. Inform. Be available. Rumors spread like wildfire in times of budget crunch. Let your employees be in on the discussion. On the flip side don't assume. You never know what's going to happen so don't spread anxiety.
- Jeff Neal Urges Organization’s to Update Their Outlook on Senior Executive Service
- ‘Do or Do not. There is no try.’ And more from AFFIRM’s Monthly Speaker Series
- Media Bullseye Roundtable 2014.8 with Guest Co-Host Shel Holtz
- Agency Leaders Protected Teleworkers Who Lied About Their Hours – Plus the 7 Gov Stories
- Cutting the cord: Using ambient Wi-Fi for power and communications
- how to make your boss adore you
- my boss makes us all keep kosher for Passover
- How CMS takes on and beats back Medicare fraud
- too much info is killing your productivity, brainstorming doesn’t work, and more
- 20 Things Educators Need To Know About Digital Literacy Skills