- We are just now at a point where the amount of data that's coming in and the ability to control that data is allowing us to have "Smart Data."
- The potential is enormous. It's evolutionary. It's almost like the internet. These days nobody asks if you are on the internet anymore, it's just a way of life. Eventually we see that same evolution in big data. The data analytics and the decisions behind it will just become a away of life.
- The ability to do some of this analysis in real-time allows you to better deliver services to customers. Public safety officers can now us big data to reduce crime and target criminal hotspots. One of the most exciting areas is healthcare. You can do targeted searches in cancer research for example.
- Justifying the initial investment can be hard for some agencies.
- Definition of big data itself. We've worked hard to on the definition of big data because a lot of things that have big in front of it, aren't perceived as good. Like "big oil," or "big brother."
- Data silos are also a big concern. Right now a bunch of smart people are working to make all the data able to talk to each other.
- Come listen to big data experts in our webinar next Thursday 3.21st at 2pm ET. Register for the free event here.
- GovLoop and Oracle teamed up to produce a guide: Big Data in Government.
Want More GovLoop Content? Sign Up For Email Updates